Welcome to Camp Hot Shots. We are glad you are interested in camp. Camp Hot Shots is a great opportunity for children ages 6-11 with juvenile diabetes to make new friends, learn to better manage their diabetes and have a great time doing it. They will also come to understand that diabetes doesn't have to limit their dreams and aspirations.
Camp Hot Shots is for kids ages 6-11 only. The cost is $200 per camper (a $50 per camper discount is offered if two siblings are attending). The camp is a day camp starting Wednesday, June 8 through Friday, June 10, 2016. The hours of camp are from 9am - 4pm daily. Transportation is available by bus from the Westside Community Education Center at 108th and Grover (see application).
Camp Hot Shots takes place at Platte River State Park in Louisvillle, NE just 20 miles from Omaha and 30 miles from Lincoln. It is just south of Interstate 1-80 along the beautiful Platte River basin. The Camp Hot Shots diabetes day camp is based out of the spacious Mallet Lodge. The lodge has a fully equipped kitchen, lunchroom and plenty of space for our numerous activities. The children take part in swimming, archery, crafts and more. Camp Hot Shots provides a safe, educational and fun environment for the kids.
What you can expect from camp:
- Health Professionals on staff from Children's Hospital & Medical Center and the University of Nebraska Medical Center to assist them with blood sugar management, insulin injections and pump boluses
- Access to numerous outdoor activities; swimming, horseback riding, archery and hiking
- The opportunity to interact with other children living with diabetes
- Fun learning how to take care of themselves through educational seminars, games and activities
- Guest speakers with Type 1 diabetes including athletes, city leaders, and others who share their journey and accomplishments.